Sunday, June 24, 2007

Yellow Rose


7 x 14
Oil on Canvas

I've posted a lot of people lately so maybe it's time for a change. Here's a little rose still life. I actually did this a year or two ago and just recently reworked it. The flower just wasn't right, it looked a bit on the wooden side. I hope you'll agree it's better now. This one went through a lot of changes to get to this point. At first it was a very light, airy piece with a tile wall for a background, but that didn't quite work. So I thought, maybe more dramatic lighting. No good at all. Then one night I was sitting around and noticed all the brick surrounding the fireplace. Maybe the contrast of textures along with the stronger lighting would work. I think it worked pretty well. The strip on the bottom isn't working though so maybe it's not as done as I thought. I think I need to lighten it or maybe take it out completely.

I've been looking at some of my older things that are still laying around. Things I thought were pretty good at the time, well, not so much now. There may be quite a bit of reworking going on around here.

No comments: