Saturday, June 20, 2009

Close But No Cigar

I don't know about the rest of the world, but I seem to do a lot of things that fall just short of what I'm trying to do. Today's post will be devoted to a couple of those so maybe I can put them behind me, and move on to something with more potential. Realistically I know I'll keep playing with them until they're either right or screwed up beyond all possibility of fixing. Maybe you'll have a suggestion or maybe you'll convince me that they aren't as bad as I think or maybe I'm talking to myself and this will just be a catharthic experience.


Oil on Canvas
18 x 30

Something's just not quite right. The middle building in particular is bothering me. I think it needs to be pushed back some which sounds easy enough, but in practice is proving a bit more difficult. The brick silo isn't really working with the dull red barn either. Okay, fix those things and problem solved right? We'll see.

When I first saw this barn all the paint had been scraped off and it was a lovely silvery gray like, well, barnwood. When a got back a day or two later it was already painted with a coat of primer that was this dull red. It still had a charm to it, but it wasn't the same feel. Now it's got it's final coat of bright red, and it's turned into the red barn cliche. I'm sure the farmer likes the new paint job much better, and I'll admit it is a good looking farm, but something's just gone from it. It seems to have lost it's character. Maybe that says something about me.


Night Calls a Woman
Oil on Panel
18 x 12

A couple years ago I was watching something on TV, Austin City Limits I think, and there was this band (forget the name, sorry) playing this song that kept repeating this phrase, "night calls a woman." It stuck with me, and just would not go away. So to free my mind of this one musical phrase I did this. Nocturns seem to be quite a bit more difficult than I had imagined. This is the second, maybe third, version, and it's still not quite right. The good news is, I seem to be getting closer. On the other hand that phrase still hasn't completely left my head.

So there it is. This may be a first for me. I never let anyone see anything before it's done and ready for public consumption. In my world it's either right or wrong, and if it's wrong then fix it or start over. Next time I'll find something better to post.

5 comments:

d00mg1rl said...

I think one of the problems with the larger building is it's level is too close the background line of trees height. Also I find the two smaller barns pointing towards the left seem a little off. I'm no expert when it comes to giving critques but this is what my eye see's or jumps at.

I hope you understand what I'm babbling about.

Dave B said...

I didn't know you looked in here, cool.

I know exactly what you saying. I'd noticed the roofline / treeline thing too. My first thought was to make the trees higher, but that didn't seem to work very well. For some reason it never occurred to me to lower the sky making the trees smaller until a few minutes ago. I think that would be a much better solution. As for the smaller buildings, they're drawing too much attention. I need to push them back. Darkening the roofs alone may do it. Need to do some value juggling on the whole thing actually.

d00mg1rl said...

I'm glad you understood me, half the time I end up photoshoping something so I don't have to explain it.

Your idea for this piece sounds like the ideal way to go.

I look from time to time because I don't often get to see you posting at A&A. I've only just now worked up to courage to post here.

Dave B said...

Well I'm glad you look in to see what's going on. I should put more on A&A, but by the time I upload everything to Photobucket I've often lost interest in going any farther. Everything is here already or soon will be. And have no fear, I don't bite. Anyway you're about as far away as you can get without leaving the planet.

d00mg1rl said...

Well I've been told I'm away with the pixies so that could be close to being off the planet lol and I do bite :D

Have you tried imageshack? It's much better then photobucket I think.